HISTORY

First settled in the late 1790s and early 1800s, the Village of Interlaken was home to many families from the New England and New Jersey areas. Early businesses included hotels, blacksmiths, post office, bank, and in time the railroad station. All designed to support the local families and the farmers from the surrounding area.

Four churches were established to serve the community, Union Baptist in 1819, Reformed Church of Farmerville in 1830, a Universalist church in 1850 and St. Francis Solanus Catholic Church in 1874.

 Originally called Farmerville, then Farmer, and Farmer Village the hamlet continued to grow. Prosperous homes were built on Main Street, Lodi Street (now West Avenue), and along the side streets. LeRoy, Lake View, Clinton and Knight Streets were the last to be added.

In 1904 two events occurred in close proximity. With the increase in summer travelers coming to the area on the Lehigh Valley Railroad there was a movement to rename the railroad depot something more than Farmer. The Railroad sponsored a contest to suggest names for the station and a school teacher, Miss Georgiana Wheeler, suggested the name of Interlaken based on her travels to Switzerland. The residents of the village were also working to establish the community as an incorporated village.  Several names were suggested and votes taken. In a spirit of unity the Farmer Review encouraged the members of the village to unite behind the name Interlaken. On March 2, 1904 the Village was incorporated, and the following Saturday the Interlaken Review replaced the Farmer Review.

The look of Main Street changed over the years with major fires in December 1880 when much of the south end of business Main Street burned; in February 1891 when the Gambee House burned, it would be replaced with the Goodman House; in April 1926 when the warehouse at the corner of Orchard and Main burned and when the Robinson Hotel burned in February 1939. 

Many businesses remain in and near the Village, continuing the tradition of serving the needs of the community and surrounding area.

For more on the history of Interlaken and the area please see the link to the Interlaken Historical Society.

THE HEART OF THE FINGERLAKES

New York

Mayors Since 1904

1904 John B Moore
1905 Alfred Slocum
1906 Thomas P Hause
1907 Morris K. Medlock
1908 Thomas p. Hause
1911 Jay B. Bradley
1913 Morris K. Medlock
1915 Leroy C. Bradley
1916 Morris K. Medlock
1917 Howard C. Peterson
1919 John H. Hancey
1921 George C. Wickham
1923 Dr. Arthur R. Hill
1924 L. P. Detro
1925 Adeblert Howell
1930 J Lynn Stewart
1934 L. P. Detro
1936 Horace Jones
1943 Marion Slaght
1951 Robert Hitchcock
1952 Donald Hanford
1955 Preston Kellogg
1957 Darwin P. Norton
1966 Leroy Covert
1967 Howard Jones
1979 David Koehler
1980 Thelma Peabody
1984 William Larsen

2017 Richard J. Richardson

Village Of